If you’ve got injured at work, you must take action immediately. The steps you take after an injury could have an impact on your future. Filling out a workers’ compensation claim is the best way to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Without a workers’ compensation claim, you’ll likely have to pay for medical expenses and lost wages out of your pocket. It can be a financial burden, especially if you miss work.
Here are seven steps to take after a workplace injury:
Seek medical attention right away
Depending on the severity of the injury, you may be able to treat it yourself. Here are a few things you can do to ensure you get the medical attention you need.
- First, if you can, try to find the name and contact information of the on-site medical personnel. If there is an infirmary or first-aid station at your workplace, go there first. If not, try to find a nearby hospital or urgent care centre.
- Next, it’s crucial to document the injury as soon as possible. You should take pictures of the injury and write when and how it happened. It will be important information for your doctor, and it will also be helpful if you need to file a workers’ compensation claim.
Notify your employer of the injury
If you’ve got injured at work, you may wonder whether or not you should notify your employer. While there’s no law requiring you to do so, it’s generally a good idea to let your employer know about the injury as soon as possible.
- First, your employer may be required to report the injury to their insurance company. If your employer doesn’t know about the accident, they may file a claim.
- Second, if your injury prevents you from working, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. If your employer isn’t aware of your injury, they may not process your claim promptly.
File a workers’ compensation claim
If your claim is approved, you may be eligible for various benefits, including medical benefits and compensation for lost wages.
- Filing a workers’ compensation claim doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. In most cases, you can notify your employer of the injury and begin the claims process. It is just all you need, the best Worker Compensation Lawyers in Perth to solve it.
- Unlike personal injury claims, you don’t need to prove that your employer was at fault for your injuries to receive benefits.
Keep track of all medical appointments and expenses
- First, if you file a workers’ compensation claim, you’ll need to provide documentation of your injuries and treatment.
- Second, keeping track of your medical bills can help you track how much your injuries have cost you.
- And finally, if you’re considering pursuing a personal injury lawsuit against your employer, having detailed records of your injuries and treatment can be helpful evidence.
Keep a record of your lost wages
You might be having questions if you should keep a record of your lost wages. The answer is yes! Here’s why:
- You may get entitled to compensation for your lost wages. If your employer is at fault for your injuries, you may be able to recover compensation for your lost wages.
- Keeping a record of your lost wages will help you accurately calculate future lost wages. It is crucial to take time off work to recover from your injuries.
- Lost wages can get used as evidence in a personal injury claim. If you’re planning on filing a personal injury claim, your lost wages will be the best piece of evidence.
- Keeping a record of your lost wages will help you keep track of your financial losses. This information can be helpful if you need to file an insurance claim or take legal action against your employer.
Be cautious about returning to work
Talk to your doctor and get their opinion. They will be able to tell you if you’re physically ready to return to work.
Think about your mental state as well. If you’re still feeling traumatized by your injury, it may not be the right time to go back.
Talk to your employer and let them know how you’re feeling. They should be understanding and accommodating.
Get help from a workers’ compensation solicitor
Some injured workers try to handle their worker’s compensation claims, but this is often not advisable. Workers’ compensation laws are complex, and the claims process can be confusing. Adelaide Compensation Lawyers can help you understand your rights and options and will fight to get you the best benefits possible.
Accidents are never fun. They can be traumatic, physically and emotionally draining, and just scary. But if you’ve been in an accident, you must know you can get through it. If you follow the steps mentioned above, you will be on your way to dealing with the problems and getting over the trauma.